Without the indie site owners who use our products, we are nothing. Thank you for helping us make Welocally Places stronger!
This was our best release ever. Here is a few reasons why:
- We listened to you, and you made our product better.
- We made everything widgets, and streamlined.
- Search should be simple, so we made it easier to find and add places.
- Quality, we are dedicated to quality so we tested it on more platforms and browsers.
Here is the bullet point of the new features, but please read on to get the nitty gritty.
- Better look and feel. It looks better and is stronger.
- Search is easier, Pizza in Montclair NJ? No problem.
- Adding places is easier. We made it separate from search.
- We made sure we support IE for viewing. IE6,IE7,IE8,IE9.
- Category tags. Put category tags on any post or page such as “Shopping”
- Intelligent places widget. It knows what categories are related to what the user is viewing and filters automatically.
Let’s Dig In!
New Look and Feel
Making everything a tag has been super important to us, that is because we think every place in the world should have a unique ID, just like a URL on the web. Thats why we have made cool little widgets that can be shared.
We really want people to use our plugin to create directories to showcase local businesses, that why we made it easy to put the category tags on pages that might showcase a specific class of place like “Shopping” or “Bar’s & Pubs”.
No places found for this category.
Smarter Map Widget
Shouldnt it be easy for people to see all the similar place to the one they are reading about in one place? Our new Places Widget Map automatically filters the places that are related to either the category your reader is currently viewing or relates it to the category set for a specific post. When viewing the post on a local restaurant, only restaurants show in the map area.
The new and improved Map widget turns your site into a disruptive technology in seconds. Just organize your posts by category and and places and your site the hyperlocal alternative to Yelp in minutes. People want your local expertise, and do not trust the big internet referrers, so why not use the power tools that will give you the edge in your community?
Better Browser Support
The best plugin is the one that helps the most people possible. While we wont be able to help everybody at least we help many more people in this release. We worked very hard to support IE readership for this iteration. Here is the new matrix of browsers we support for viewing places:
Welocally Loves You!
Just so you know, we really are into indie sites. We wont stalk you or anything, but we are super passionate about helping indie site owners succeed. Mostly because we see them as the kind of people we look up too, fiercely independent, trying to make their own way. Just like us. We have some big plans to help sites like these monetize and be sustainable, we hope you will work with us to make it happen.